What To Do After A Motor Vehicle Accident
After an accident, time can move in slow motion. As voices and lights surround you, it can be difficult to remember what to do next. Although we are never prepared for a motor vehicle accident, knowing what steps to take immediately after a motor vehicle accident can save us a lot of grief in the future. At the law firm of Tucker & Miller in Phoenix, Arizona, our attorneys understand the importance of being prepared. We ought to know. We used to work for the insurance companies. Now we work for the injured. Believe it or not, what you do immediately after an accident can impact your ability to recover.
Five Things To Do After An AccidentIf you are involved in an accident, try to remember these five steps:
- Contact the police — Make sure someone at the accident scene contacts the police. A police officer will create an accident report. If you are able, talk to the police officer to present your side of the story.
- Get photos of the accident scene — If you are able, try to get photos of the accident scene, including photographs of the vehicles involved. If you are unable to obtain photos, ask a police officer to take pictures of the scene.
- Get medical treatment — Even if you do not think you are injured, it is important to get evaluated by a medical professional. Some injuries are not always apparent. Getting a thorough examination will establish a record of your injuries.
- Keep records — The better your records of the accident, the damage to your vehicle, and your medical records, the better chance you will have of making a complete financial recovery.
- Keep going to therapy and rehabilitation — If your doctor has scheduled rehabilitation or therapy, it is important to attend each and every session. Each one of these sessions is an opportunity to create a stronger record of your injuries and medical records.